Started by IPl, January 30, 2013, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IPl

Avidemux 2.6.1, Fedora 17
Subtitle filter SSA not work.

Nik

doesn't work for some time now ...

Jan Gruuthuse

If you're running avidemux Gtk try with avidemux QT: Lack of manpower to work on the GTK version

IPl

It is Avidemux 2.6.1 QT version with KDE 4.9.5.

Jan Gruuthuse

You have these installed from here: http://avidemux.org/nightly/fedora17_32/ in sequential order?
- avidemux3-core
- avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-
- avidemux3-qt4-
- avidemux3-plugins-QT4-
Find attached small SSA demo file. Should show subtitle at 5,7 & 9 seconds in to play for about 2 seconds.
Load video. Select Video Output like Mpeg4 AVC (x264). In Filters select in Subtitles: SSA. Point in pop-up box to Subtitle file avidemux.ass (attached to this posting) and click [Open]. Close Video Filter Manager. Switch to Output view and press play.
The player shows these when switching the Preview mode and only when playing!
Input view: switch to Output view:
ps: drag avidemux by corner, so it shows video canvas completely and not a partial video.

Nik

@Jan: I don't see any subs in the x32 windows version
(and I tried to replace the dll files mentioned in some other threads here)
did anything change in the .ass (or .ssa) file syntax?
I use my subtitle script that I successfully used in avidemux 2.5

Jan Gruuthuse

@Nik: download this avidemux_r8455_win32.7z from http://avidemux.org/nightly/win32/ and unpack with http://www.7-zip.org/ and replace the content where you installed avidemux. As I understand it it should be there. Try with above attached avidemux.ass.

Nik

@Jan: that's the version I use (I always try to use the newest version if possible)
but after loading the subtitle file nothing happens/appears after 5 sec playtime (of course in output mode, I hope there will be an output mode as it is in 2.5 in one of the next versions, kinda uncomfortable to see it only when playing the video ;D)
odd :o

mean

Confirmed, it does not work anymore on my test sample

Nik

any news on this one? :)

Jan Gruuthuse

Nik

hmmm
got 8508 yesterday and 8509 just now and I don't see any subs :)
(tested with your test file found in this thread)

Jan Gruuthuse

There might be slight differences between nightly and Avidemux for Windows by Gruntster.
If that did not work:
Consider installing a second OS on your system (dual boot windows/ubuntu). Can use the 2nd hard disc for this and select bios boot menu for doing so. If you're not familiar with these procedures look for some help from computer nerd ;) (needs resizing of 2nd hard disk partition, creating  a primary on it 100 GB would be enough)
FOR safety disconnect 1st hard disc with windows when installing on second harddisc
external harddisc (c/w)ould be possible to, but slower.
ASS is still working in linux.

Nik

alright

just tried 8606 and I see ssa/ass subs working! yay! :D

BUT! I have one question :)

I encode with predefined AR. This way, the subs have a correct AR of 1:1 but video players stretch the video to 16:9 and also the subs will be stretched
is there a way to squeeze the text so that it looks alright after AR correction?

Jan Gruuthuse

Can't see directly a solution to this, if font is stretched? Try some narrow/condensed width fonts? Unless developers have a solution for this within avidemux.
Have you checked in SSA subtitle editor if it has a font squeeze option or to 16:9 display option?